Work and Study in UK

Employment and Study under Points Based Applications

Entry to the United Kingdom for long term residence can now only be made under specific categories of employment, investment in a business, private financial investment, or as a student. A minimum level of points has to be achieved in the chosen category by providing documentary evidence that will satisfy UK Visas and Immigration office that an applicant is qualified for immigration to the UK in that category.  Since leaving the EU, the UK Government now applies these rules also to EU nationals making their first applications for UK residence.

Please note – many, but not all points based categories may lead to permanent residence of the UK after a qualifying period, and later to British Citizenship.

Indefinite leave to remain (Permanent Residence)

We can assist with applications for settlement in a variety of different categories including Tier 1 Investors, Tier 1 Innovators, Tier 2, Family members of settled persons or British citizens, Long Residence, and Right to Permanent Residence under EU law.

At Carter Bedi McKay, we have a vast experience and knowledge in successfully handling applications on behalf of our clients under all the various categories of the Points Based System. Our unrivalled professionalism and experience will ensure that we achieve the best results for your particular application.

Points Based Applications in Detail

Tier 1 – Investors

The Tier 1 Investor category is for high-net worth individuals willing to make an investment of at least £2 million in the UK. There are no English Language requirements but clients will need to comply with specific requirements as to the source of funds and types of eligible investments. Permanent Residence (indefinite leave to remain) can be applied for after completing the qualifying period of continuous residence.

Tier 1 – Start Up and Innovator Visa

The Tier 1 Start Up and Innovator category is for non-EEA nationals who have proven ability to set up and run an innovative business in the UK.   It must be clearly demonstrated to be a new idea in the business market.  Permanent Residence (indefinite leave to remain) can be applied for after completing the qualifying period of continuous residence.

Tier 2 –  Skilled Worker Route

The Tier 2 Skilled Worker category enables UK employers approved by the Home Office to recruit skilled workers from overseas to fill vacancies in a limited list of professions published by the Home Office.  The salary offered must meet a specified minimum level for the type of occupation to be undertaken.

Tier 2 – Intra Company Transfers

Employees moving from an overseas branch of a company to the UK office of the same company. Minimum salary levels and experience of working within the overseas branch apply under this category

Tier 4 – Student Visas

This Tier 4 category applies to students wishing to undertake a course of study in the UK. Overseas students must now be sponsored by UK colleges which have to be licensed by Home Office as genuine places of education. This requires an offer of study from the recognised UK college, proven ability in English language to a level sufficient to undertake the course, and proven ability to fund the studies and stay in the UK.

Tier 5 – Other Temporary Workers

This category of for Youth Mobility Scheme, Charity Worker, Government Authorised Exchange, International Agreement, Creative and Sporting, Religious Worker visas.